Monday, January 24, 2011

Tests and more Tests (and some drama)

Larkin's battle with IBS continues. But, first let me say that I wouldn't trade this challenge for the world. I thank my lucky stars that she has IBS and reflux instead of a serious disease or terminal illness. I, in no way, want to come across as whining or complaining. This is what is simply what is going on in our lives. SO having said that, Larkin had a routine check up with her Pediatric GI this past Thursday. On her last appointment they noticed air in her belly and we took her off cow's milk to see if the air would go down. Nope, but I'll keep her on soy for fun. Because she is still filled with air they did blood work (so sad) to check for Celiac Disease. They also ordered another test that is totally gross....I'll spare you! We are waiting for the results.

The drama. Larkin is now on 5 different medications some of which are taken 4 times daily. Late last week I filled her Rx for Prevacid which is an antacid for her reflux. I noticed that the packaging was different, but didn't think anything of it. She got her Friday night and Saturday morning dose. On Saturday night, Jim noticed that the name of the meds on the label didn't match the name on the actual packaging. He did not give it to her and we skipped her dose on Sunday morning. After church, we called CVS pharmacy to check it out. They gave us the wrong meds!! She was supposed to get Prevacid and they gave us Orapred ODT which is a STEROID!! Needless to say, we freaked out. Long story short (too late), Larkin is fine with no harm done. Double check those Rx's people. Human error would be a horrible way to die.

2 comments:

Tiffany W. said...

I love that little face! I am glad she is okay and will expect a full report from you when you get the tests back!!

Naihe Family said...

WHAT THE HECK!!!! I would be livid too. I hope the test for Larkin come back ok. I have a friend of mine whose son I think had simalar issues. I think she was able to control it through diet and get him off the meds. I can talk to her and find out if you want. That sucks doing meds 4 times a day. I have the hardest time keeping up with meds...