Thursday, March 1, 2012

New Assignment- Big Changes

Jim is being transferred to Sakhalin, Russia for a 3 year assignment! We're very excited for the adventure. Sakhalin is an island off the east coast of Russia and just north of Japan. Very remote. The climate is cold and humid. It is currently 16 degrees and snowing over there and the summers are mild, reaching the low 80's. We will be living on a compound in a duplex that is about 2,600 square feet. 4 bedrooms and fully furnished. The compound has playgrounds for the kids and a fitness center. It also has a convenience store and a medical clinic.


We've already done the whole passport thing, which was not a complete nightmare, but not my favorite experience. Those will be done sometime next week and we can apply for visas which will take 8-10 weeks. Jim has had his medical evaluation where he received 4 booster shots. The kids will also need shots. I get a free pass until the baby is born. And speaking of the baby: So, a week ago an ultra sound tech, with all certainty, told me that we're having a boy. While I believe her, I was only 11 weeks along. Needless to say, I'm keeping receipts. But, preparations have begun because I have to get this all done before we go. I can't buy cribs, high chair, car seats, etc in Sakhalin. (we thought we were done having kids and I got rid of EVERYTHING). I went to the Children's Place last week just to see what they had and as luck would have it they were having their winter blow out sale. I got lots of long sleeved shirts, jackets, sweaters, mitten, etc for all the kids. I also made a huge Amazon.com purchase: infant car seat/stroller, jumperoo, port-a-crib, toddler car seat, and a high chair. My front entry way is full of boxes and my office is filling up with baby clothes and winter gear. Over the next several weeks there will be doctor and dentist check-ups, organizing, and lots of shopping! And by the way, Jim is leaving for Malaysia today and will be gone for 16 days--BOO! (but at least when I bring home bags and bags of clothes from shopping I don't have to see his wide eyes).


Here's the plan: We're supposed to leave somewhere around May 1st. There will be 2 shipments for us. The smaller shipment will get to Russia in 2 weeks and will be things we need right away like toys, clothes, Larkin's Pedia-Sure, etc. The larger shipment will take several months and will have stuff like the kids' bikes, baby furniture, and winter gear. The kids and I will be coming back to Houston at the end of July or beginning of August so that I can have the baby over here. Jim will come back just before the baby is born (beginning of September). We will have to stay until the baby gets a visa/passport which could take 4 weeks, but Jim will have to get back to work. So, that means I get to fly from Houston to Russia (no direct flights people) with all 4 kids alone. Should be pretty fun.



My doctor knows that we're moving and is planning on running several extensive ultra sounds and bloodwork. He has some concerns because of my 3 previous C-sections. If the tests show any abnormalities, the kids and I will be staying in Houston until the baby is born. Not our favorite option, but we'll do what is best for the baby and me.



One thing that I've learned so far in this process is that things change...usually because of new information. So everything that I've just typed could all be wrong in a few weeks. We'll see.



Stayed tuned! This is going to be an adventure!

4 comments:

Naihe Family said...

This is sooo cool!!! Although, I might now wait on the winter gear. It is going to be winter till June there isn't it? Do you know Dee Jones, I think she is over there too. Not sure where, but an island off russia sounds very familar. Very excited for you guys

Anonymous said...

I think Dee is still there, come to think of it. Your stuff is being shipped in the summer months so you will get it quickly, like maybe 6-8 weeks. The winter shipments take much longer. Ours took four months to get to us. Blah. Be sure to pack sheets, blankets and pillows in your air shipment because the homes are furnished, but not with linens and such. It does come with a starter kit for your kitchen, so you will have pots and pans and dishes. Put a good cookbook in your suitcase to have before your sea shipment comes. You will need it since there is no take out. I think the community center has a little restaurant, but Russian food is gross, gross.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the flights. You will go first class, and when you get to Narita (Tokyo airport) all you have to do is ask for help, and they will JUMP to help you with anything you need. We got stranded there more than once, and the Japanese people are so gracious and helpful with the little ones! You will not get any help once you get to Russia though, but the airport is really small (as in, one room). Have someone waiting for you to help get bags through security to get OUT of the airport. That is where you will need help. Just tell E. that you need help, and someone will be there. Dee will help for sure.

James Pereira said...

Hi, u hv a lovely blog n i want to invite u to visit my biblical blog www.true-shapherd.blogspot.com regards, james.