Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Let the Adventure Begin!

On Monday October 22, 2012 we boarded a plane to Tokyo, Japan with 12 suitcases, 4 carry ons, 1 ginormous stroller (online purchase hazard) & infant seat, and 4 kids. The company sent a huge 12 passenger van to pick us up. I cried all the way to the airport. Not just silent tears streaming down my face... I'm talking Boo-Hooing! As Jim was getting us all checked in, I was texting my family and friends. Everyone was saying goodbye and sending well wishes. I had finally gathered my emotions when my old sister sent me a text saying, "Remember the Alamo!" I lost it, feeling like I was betraying the great state of Texas and my country. Rainey looked up at me and said, "Again with the crying?!?" Larkin said, "Mom, I'm sorry you're going to miss your family", I guess that's the difference between my girls. The 13 hour flight from Houston to Tokyo was wonderful! I wish I could always travel business class. It was truly a piece of cake. When we landed in Tokyo, we had to claim all our bags and go through customs. Luckily, they let us cut to the front of the line because of the stroller. Even so, it was very difficult. We then boarded a plane to Sapporo, Japan. It was only a 2 1/2 hour flight. Not a big deal. We spent the night in the airport hotel to wait for the charter flight into Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. As we walked through the airport the next morning, Rainey asked quite loudly, "Why does everyone have black hair?" To which I answered, "Because they're all Japanese." While waiting for the charter flight, we met 2 families that live on the compound with us. So, 2 days and 3 planes later, we made it into Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia!


No comments: